Classification, labelling and safety data sheets

Do you market chemical substances or products? Are you on top of the regulatory requirements on your markets?

We know the regulations for about 50 countries worldwide and can support you all the way: from classification of products and authoring of safety data sheets (SDSs) to preparation of your hazard labelling. Everything done in accordance with national rules and in national languages. 

If there are specific national bans or restrictions you should be aware of, we will help you find a solution. We also undertake to communicate with your suppliers to ensure that you get the necessary information on products and raw materials.

Don’t want to worry about regulatory requirements? Contact us!

Ingelise Dige Semark

Tel.: +45 4516 9221


GHS – global guidelines, national regulations

The objective of GHS is to ensure uniform hazard criteria and hazard communication worldwide. GHS also outlines the guidelines for safety data sheets.

GHS is not a regulation but guidelines that may be implemented in the national legal framework. This implies that there are national variations in the classification and labelling of chemicals.

In the EU the implementation of GHS is known as CLP (classification, labelling and packaging). Non-EU countries often have different implementations.

We know the national differences in the implementation of GHS so you can be sure that your products live up to the requirements of the countries where you market them. Furthermore, we have access to national substance lists with mandatory classifications.


What is GHS?

The Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) is the United Nations’ harmonised system for classification, labelling and packing of chemical substances and mixtures.

Hazard labelling

Hazardous chemicals must carry a hazard label. Hazardous chemicals include all classified chemicals. There may also be a requirement for hazard labelling of non-classified chemicals depending on their constituents and use. The label requirements can vary from one country to another, but all countries require that the label must always be in the national language.

We are very knowledgeable about hazard labelling requirements and can supply you with accurate labelling information for any given country and in the required language(s).

Safety data sheets

If you manufacture or deliver chemicals for professional use you are responsible for supplying a safety data sheet together with the chemical. The safety data sheet must comply with national rules and be in the national language(s) of the country in which the chemical is sold. This requirement applies to both substances and mixtures.

We have comprehensive experience in authoring safety data sheets for all types of chemicals. Through our in-house chemical management system we can supply you with safety data sheets in about 50 languages and in compliance with national regulatory requirements. 

We can also assist you with quality control of existing safety data sheets.


Notification of classification and labelling in the EU

In the EU, manufacturers and importers of chemical substances must notify substance classifications and labelling in accordance with the CLP Regulation to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA). The information is made available in the C&L Inventory, which is an open database.

Classification and labelling must be notified regardless of the amount produced or imported, and whether the substance is registered under REACH or not. For certain imported chemical mixtures it is also a requirement that the substances are registered.

We can help you notify substance classifications and labelling to the C&L Inventory.

EU poison information centres and UFI codes

In the EU, all chemical mixtures classified for health hazards and/or physical hazards must be labelled with a UFI code (unique formula identifier) regardless of quantity. The UFI code must be accompanied by a notification to the national poison information centres in the membership countries where the product is sold.

The UFI code has been mandatory since 1 January 2021.

Only EU-based companies are required to report to the poison information centres. This means that manufacturers outside the EU must either disclose product compositions to their European suppliers or make a so-called voluntary notification by appointing an EU-based third party to act as a "non-duty holder".

We help companies in and outside the EU to report to the poison information centres.